Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Goldfish Perspective

I have fish tank with a pair of angelfish. I've had them for over 3 years.

Every morning I walk by the tank, push a button and make their sun rise. I lift the lid, and cause food to fall from the their heavens. I cause it to rain into their tank by adding more water.

It occurred to me this morning, I am God. I do for them, what is says in the bible god does for us, I must therefore be god, or a god. God of the fish tank!

From their perspective, what else can I be? I provide food, water, light, friends, I clean... their entire universe exists because I created it. Their universe continues because I maintain it. Computers, cars, laundry - all concepts beyond their comprehension.

It reminds me of Clarke's 3rd law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Or Just because you can't explain it today, does not prove devine.

No comments:

Post a Comment